Monday, January 11, 2010

If I normally wouldn't buy it, did I really save anything?

Ok, I've been a bit lazy and only doing partial posts over the weekend so, I went back this morning to put in the details. As I look at these grocery receipts, I noticed that I have to hunt for what I spent, but the amount I "saved" is huge. I wonder if retailers in particular want us to only see what we saved and not the money we left behind.

The funny thing is that it is very rare for me to buy the items at the non-sale price. For instance, Kroger wants me to know that I saved $2.86 on my package of chicken breast. Well, no I didn't because I would never buy it at the $3.99/pound regular price. So, if my price point that I will pay for boneless, skinless chicken breast is $1.99 did I really save $2.86 or just simply spent $2.85 on it?

So, at the end of the receipt I learn in really big text that I saved $17.63, but I have to go three inches up to find that I spent $37.66 on that basket of groceries. I got a good bit, but I still feel a little deceived by how the text of the receipt is constructed.

It is funny, as I look at the receipt, I see that Kroger has figured out that I saved 32% of my total bill and that I have saved $30.76 so far this year. Personally, I'd rather have a running tab of what I actually spent instead, but that might encourage me to spend less. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep this blog for that.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment