Thursday, July 15, 2010

What $10 will buy



I wanted to share another resource for saving money with you. We have a local business that shops the big farmers market and then brings it up to us. This way we can get a really good deal on really fresh food. Generally you pay $15 dollars for about a five gallon bucket worth of fruits and veggies once a week. I was able to get $5 off the price by working as a sorter and then I was able to increase the amount of what I could take home by sharing in what doesn't spread out evenly among the baskets. Here is what I got:

  • One head of lettuce
  • Six baking potatoes
  • Two stalks of broccoli
  • Two cantaloupes (and my sister gave me her unwanted one making it three)
  • Six ears of corn
  • Twelve bananas
  • One bunch of green onions
  • Four green peppers
  • Four peaches
  • Two pounds of grapes
  • Eighteen plums
  • One pound of grape tomatoes
  • Five tomatoes
  • Six apples
  • Six yellow crooked neck squash
Now, I couldn't begin to tell you how much all of this would have cost me at the grocery store if I could have even gotten it all. I also did about three hours of lifting and bending to earn my $5 off the regular price. Some weeks are not as good as others, but I always wind up on the positive side, especially since I am not taking time away from a paying job to do this. So, in reality, my time really has no monetary value to compare my savings against.

No comments:

Post a Comment