Monday, September 12, 2011

The path to home ownership - saving slowly

Ok. Who here doesn't want to save money?

It is time to start looking at the little things and I'm not talking about the Latte Factor - although that can be a concern too.

What are our habits concerning saving money? One thing I almost never do is spend change. I try my hardest not to spend change. I love when something comes to $X.02, because then I will get back 98 cents which will eventually become heavy and bulge out my wallet and end up in the bottom of my drawer.

Well, Thursday was one of those days for which I live. I made a delivery at work and ended up with $28 for my trouble. (This was so outside the range of normal that I'd be shocked if it ever happened again.) So, off to the bank I went to immediately deposit this into my savings account. While I was in the parking lot, I fished out all the change in my car and my purse and turned my $28 into $34.50 after only a few minutes search. I was so excited about this that I went home and started to fish through all my catch-alls - baskets, drawers, pencil cups, etc. and came up with six dollars in pennies, ten in quarters and about five in other denominations along with two dollar bills. These are all rolled and ready to be deposited on the next bank run.

Our bank will start charging us three dollars a month to use our check card. While this is reasonable on our main account, for my business/savings account this is just a waste. Today gave me a new perspective on this. I now look forward to taking out and using cash for all of the daily transactions that will net me more and more change! I've always saved change as emergency gas money, but after reading this post at Kayla K's site I was inspired to do more. In the post, she describes how she paid off her car beyond just making the monthly payment. I love that girl! She is so inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment